what's the difference between WSCF.blue and service factory (Model Edition)

Jul 6, 2009 at 10:47 PM
Edited Jul 6, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Hi there

Good work. :) I was just wondering what is the differenct between wscf.blue and service factory? as far as i could tell, service factory doesnt generate the client side proxy, apart from that it does the rest.

Cheers

Jul 7, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Hi,

There are a few differences.

(1) Functionally : ServiceFactory doesnt let you import an existing WSDL and generate from there. Nor does it (as far as i remember) allow you to build a WSDL. Once you have your service contracts you can of course get the WSDL through reflection, but the point of WSCF is that you opt for the full control of your WSDL and not just allow the framework to generate the wsdl . With SF, you can use XSD's to build your data contracts and then separately model your MessageContracts and ServiceContracts using the DSL Tools provided. I'm also not sure if you can generate data contracts from XSDs (which you can in WSCF, its just disabled in the beta).

(2) Breadth of solution: Since SF is a full blown factory with different guidance packages, it allows you to create the entire solution structure (including data access layer , mapping cartridges etc) whereas WSCF does not attempt to go so far but focusses purely on the service interface.

(3) Implementation Model.: SF is based on GAT/GAX whereas WSCF is an add-in. Extending SF involves a good understanding of Guidance Packages, DSL etc whereas with WSCF its much simpler (but then again, I personally havent heard of anyone extending WSCF., although it could be possible in future).

Do note that IMO, WSCF does not aim to rival ServiceFactory. It just fills a particular niche - that of WSDL oriented development. In fact , we are considering how we can link in from WSCF to the Servicefactory at some point.

Hope this helps.,

Benjy