This project is read-only.

Check-ins?

Jun 4, 2009 at 5:49 PM

This looks interesting but the most recent check-in was from 5 months ago.

I gather from reading the other discussion posts that there have been changes. Will you check in the code?

And, How hard is it to produce an MSI for WSCF?   There are no downloads, no releases.  It would be nice to provide a preview release that is updated nightly or weekly - regularly anyway. 

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Hi Cheeso,

We will be getting a release out shortly. We've been looking at incorporating some fixes and enhancements (as you have seen in the other discussions), but we havent got round to doing that yet. We've all been completely tied up. However, the last checkin is very stable and if you follow the instructions on the home page then you should be able to work with this pretty easily.

Cheers

benjy

Jun 6, 2009 at 1:34 AM

Ahh, thank you benjy.

I'd like to be able to refer others to the project; I like the philosophy and though some of us may think of "WSDL-First WCF" as "so 2005", it really is still moving toward the mainstream adoption.  But I don't feel comfortable referring people to it if it is still a source-only drop, if you know what I mean.

Jun 7, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Re: referring others to the project, i agree. I referred a colleague recently to WSCF but it was apparent he wasnt comfortable with the amount of work needed to get up and running with it. I guess for those of us who have been using the previous versions, we kinda know what to expect and have bought into the toolset, so its not a big deal to do a few extra steps to get up and running. But for a person new to it, this can be rather daunting. Rest assured, we have discussed it amongst the contributors here and will get something out soon.

In terms of the WSDL first approach, yes, its still taking hold only slowly. From my experience, I think there are two key factors for this . One is the lack of good tooling (outside of WSCF and  ServiceFactory) in the .NET space as no one wants to handcraft WSDLs and second is that there arent that many devs involved in interop scenarios and similar integration scenarios where doing the service contract upfront can play a very important role and the neutral spec offered by XSD and WSDL (vs. raw Java and C#) is a great common ground. I guess with WCF, having the equivalent attrbutes in the framework and allowing for a code-first approach to the contract also plays its part in keeping people away from WSDL !

Jul 6, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Hi ,

Well, it took a while, but we kept to our promise and made a release available with the changes.  Check it out and let us know what you think

Rgds

benjy

Jul 6, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Excellent, thanks for doing this.  Nice to see.