WSCF.Blue for the specified folder structure

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Hi,

In my project we are using WCF and trying to use  WSCF.Blue for contract first development.

I tried using restaurant XSDs and found that WSCF.Blue creates the genereated files in the same folder.

In my case i would like to have a folder structure like this

Service Project:

"DataContract"

"FaultContract"

"ServiceImplementation"

Is there any way i can specify the destination folders for the genereated files. I guess if i manually move these files to different folders i may not be able to use the WSCF.Blue when the contract changes in the future.

Your help in this regard is highly appreciated.

Developer
Aug 2, 2011 at 1:48 PM

There is currently no way to assign different types of generated files into specific destination folders. I usually place all generated code into a single file. This can be especially helpful if you are in a design phase and are frequently generating the code to get a feel for what the resulting types will be like to code with. If you generate multiple files when making frequent changes like that you will end up with orphaned files when types are renamed or removed from the contract.

Aug 3, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Thanks for the reply.

So the best practice is to generate single file as a abstract classes
and use the folder structure for the classes we create which will inherit the generated classes.

Is my understanding correct?

Developer
Sep 22, 2011 at 2:48 PM

I certainly find generating a single file to be the approach that is the easiest to work with. Using a partial class for the service implementation also makes modifications easier.